Sweet Honey Cornbread
On the outside, it looks like ordinary cornbread — baked golden brown in a cast iron skillet. On the inside, it is sweetened with golden honey.
There was a time, not long ago, when I only made cornbread using Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. Then one day I discovered how easy it is to make cornbread from scratch. It only takes cornmeal and a few other simple ingredients to mix together cornbread in a “jiffy.” Now that I know how easy it is, I rarely use the Jiffy Mix method.
While my method for making cornbread has changed, my favorite way to eat it remains the same. I love my cornbread topped with honey. There is something about the sweetness of the honey that goes well with savory cornbread.
You might like your cornbread another way. Ken crumbles his cornbread in chili and eats it with a spoon. I read on Wikipedia that some people in the South eat it with a spoon too, after crumbling it in buttermilk. I think I’ll stick with honey and a fork.
The Moral of the Story
It’s what’s on the inside that counts, especially if what is on the inside of your cornbread is honey.
About the Recipe
The other evening I was making chili for supper, and I wanted cornbread with it. I was looking for a cornbread recipe when I spotted the family cookbook my mother-in-law gave me. The cookbook had two cornbread recipes, one from Aunt Dollie and another from someone named Dee.
Dollie’s was a Mexican Cornbread recipe marked with a sticky note from my mother-in-law that said, “Good!” Dee’s recipe was simply titled “Cornbread” and included honey mixed inside the batter. I decided to try Dee’s.
The Cast of Characters
Recipe: Sweet Honey Cornbread
Summary: A simple cornbread sweetened with honey
- Preheat the oven to 425, and grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, oil and honey.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until moistened.
- Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden.
- Picking your cookware: You can bake this in a cast iron skillet. The skillet gives it a nice golden crust. You also can bake it in muffin tins. If you make muffins, bake them for only 14-20 minutes.
- Picking your cooking method: You can bake it, or you can fry it. Drop spoonfuls of batter into a hot greased skillet. Turn and brown on the other side.
If you have any leftover cornbread, you can:
- Freeze it: Place slices of cornbread in a freezer bag and freeze them for later.
- Stuff it: Use your leftovers to make your favorite cornbread stuffing.
- Top it: Top a slice of cornbread with sliced strawberries and fresh whipped cream. This makes a tasty Strawberry Cornbread Cake. I think it’s even better than Strawberry Shortcake.
Baking time (duration): 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 6 servings
Meal type: dinner