We celebrated Father’s Day with Ken’s dad and grandfather a bit late this year. They happened to be out of town on Father’s Day. When we did get together to celebrate a couple of weeks later, I was short on ideas for the perfect gift.
Whenever I run out of gift ideas, I give homemade cookies. For my dad’s birthday, I gave him a batch of chocolate cherry chip cookies because his favorite candy is chocolate covered cherries. For Father’s Day, I gave Ken’s dad Brazilian coffee cookies because he loves coffee. I gave his grandfather these pineapple cookies because, as you probably guessed, he loves pineapple.
We got together at Ken’s parents’ house to celebrate. His mom made the most incredible peach cobbler. It was more like a pie than cobbler, with a flaky, pie-like crust on top. I brought these pineapple cookies. They were more like little cakes than cookies, with a moist and cake-like texture. While the cookies paled in comparison to the cobbler, I still think they were good. Ken’s grandfather enjoyed them anyway.
The Moral of the Story
The best gifts really are homemade.
About the Recipe
This pineapple cookie recipe came from Betty Crocker’s Cooky Book.
The Cast of Characters
- About the batter: It is more like cake batter than cookie dough. I might try making it into cupcakes next time.
- About the pineapple: You could use canned pineapple, but I think the fresh pineapple gives the cookies a great fresh flavor.
Here are a few other recipes using pineapple you may want to try too.
- Pineapple Cookies from With Style and Grace: This recipe looks similar to the one I made, but with the addition of cinnamon sugar on top. Yum!
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Cate’s World Kitchen: If I try pineapple cupcakes next time, I’ll try these. The frosting looks fabulous, with powdered sugar and coconut milk!
- Pineapple Coconut Muffins from And Now for Something Completely Delicious: For a healthier and tasty alternative, these muffins look amazing.
You could also try Pineapple Upside Down Skillet Cake from Girl Meets Oven.